When you get a vision in your head of going off to military boarding school, you are likely met with images of oversized drill sergeants yelling and screaming, repetitive yet complex obstacle courses, and a life filled with misery. That is the idea that media portrays, but it is not at all what your child will experience while attending a military boarding school. These schools are designed to work with students who have behavioral problems and/or have a desire to obtain a career in the military at some point.
Parents of both boys and girls are attracted to the idea of a military boarding school for learning. The schools offer a great amount of training as well as great academics. They are known to produce some of the top military officials and successful career minded young adults. Providing an equal opportunity for students who may have otherwise faced many challenges is that on which most schools pride themselves.
Great Solutions for Teens with Behavioral Issues
Parents who are struggling to find an alternative for their troubled teens could greatly benefit from sending their child to military boarding schools. The staff provides around the clock care for teens helping them to learn discipline, respect, education, and how to cope with their issues.
Benefits to Sending Your Troubled Teen to Military School
There are lots of benefits that come with giving your teen a great head start at college and adulthood. Military schools offer:
- Smaller classroom sizes which allow teachers to hone in on those students who are having difficulties with their studies. This means a better chance of your child having one-on-one time with the teacher to get to where they need to be academically. On the other side, if your teen is great in school, the smaller classroom sizes allow for teachers to teach students at a more advanced pace.
- Students who attend military school also benefit from having mentors on campus. Mentors are there to guide the students through their new boarding school life and help them with issues they might be having. In regular schools, your teen could be surrounded by the wrong influences, whereas in military schools, mentors are there to make sure that your teen knows they have someone in their corner.
- Counselors are also a great benefit in military boarding schools. They are there to help your teen identify their problems and resolve them in a manner that will not resort to acting out in an irrational way. Counselors are also on staff to assist families in making better decisions for their teens.
- Students who attend military boarding schools are taught important values such as to love and respect themselves as well as people in authoritative positions. This in turn will help to curb their “childish” and defiant ways so that they can be civilized and rational citizens as they get older.
- Military schools provide teens with discipline and structure around the clock, which are some things that you as a parent may not be able to do 24/7. They provide them with responsibilities such as chores and a schedule to provide structure and balance to their lives. This in turn prepares them for college, where they will not have as much support.
Don’t let the media fool you into thinking that getting help for your teen is embarrassing, harsh, or disheartening. Military boarding schools have been shaping model citizens for many years. If your child is crying out for help through negative behavior, getting assistance is the best thing you can do for their futures. While they may be a bit reluctant, you can pretty much assure that once school is over, they will thank you for caring so much.